Advanced Topics Studio with Mark Lee
M.Arch.I, Third Year
CASE STUDY 1: HIGHRISE, CITIES OF ARTIFICIAL EXTRUSIONS
01 - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe – Lake Shore Drive, 26 stories (1951)
02 - Schipporeit & Heinrich Associates - Lake Point Tower, Chicago
03 - Bertrand Goldberg - Marina City, Chicago, 60 stories
04 – Charles Correa – Kanchanjunga Apartments, Mumbai (1970-83)
05 - Alvar Aalto –1962 - The Neue Vahr Apartment Building, Bremen, Germany, 22 stories
06 – Toyo Ito – Hotel Portafira, Barcelona
07 – OMA – Miami Coconut Grove
08 - Emile Aillaud: Tours Nuages
09 - Van Den Broeck | Jacob Bakema – Hansaviertel, Bartningallee 15 stories
Choose one example of the case studies listed above and draw the floor plan and elevation in the scale listed below as well as an axonometric drawing. Research & analyze the project under the following aspects, among others:
- How does the core relate to the overall floor area the skin? This could be analyzed in diagram and expressed in ratios
- Systems and infrastructure: How are building systems such as HVAC accommodated (as part of the structure / skin / core)?
- Organization & Structure: How is the plan organized? How does the structural logic inform this organization? How does the circulation between units work? Is focus on efficiency or other aspects? What would be alternative ways of organizing?
- Shape: Is there a logic or rationale to the overall shape?
- Relationship: How does the structure relate to its surroundings, whether it is climatically, with views or physically (what happens where the building touches the ground)?
- Research general numbers and facts: Area (gross / net / core vs usable area), structural system & materials. Mechanical systems, year, architects, special consultants, special systems, # of units. Express relationships / ratios (e.g. charts)