Career Resources

Current Students and Alumni

To lawfully practice architecture in the United States, individuals must hold a license from the corresponding State Registration Board. Each State Board sets and enforces its own requirements for Architectural licensure, satisfied by evidence of education or experience, and examination.


Candidates in California must hold either a Professional Degree in Architecture, accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) or 5 years of Board-certified architectural work experience as an alternate equivalent. The M.Arch.I is AUD’s only NAAB-accredited Professional Degree Program.  Foreign degrees must be evaluated for equivalency to NAAB criteria by Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA) in order to qualify.


Beyond the minimum educational requirement, candidates in California must additionally demonstrate three years of Board-certified architectural work experience. A Council Record from the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), showing completion of the Intern Development Program (IDP), is recognized by the Board as satisfying this requirement. IDP credit hours may be earned in many ways – the best setting is for work done in an Architect's office, but other contexts may apply as well, such as working abroad or in design-related employment, engineering or construction. As of July 1, 2015, NCARB streamlined IDP by no longer requiring elective hours, although they may still be required in some jurisdictions.

IDP experience credit hours may be recorded prior to completion of the Professional Degree. For some qualifying local events, activities, or online resources at A.UD use the Opportunities and Resources link below.


Upon Board approval of eligibility, Candidates must pass all sections of the Architectural Record Examination (ARE). If eligible, candidates in California may begin to take the ARE prior to completion of IDP. Upon Completion of the ARE, candidates in California must also pass the California Supplemental Examination (CSE), after which a license can be granted by the Board.